Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Please help me choose

The task: baby quilt for baby boy due in Aug. Nursery to be pale blue with an airplane theme.

My general preferences for the blanket: sort of relate to theme, interesting enough to grow with baby through toddler years in texture and color. I have to say, I'm leaning toward option 2.

Option 1 - original design. Will use flannels for solid colors, except blues which will be cotton. All center squares of all 9-patches (except in the plane) will be chenille.



Option 2 - original design with a couple EQ6 block patterns. Center plane will actually be a pre-made applique from JoAnn's and doesn't look like the plane in this design. I just needed to put something in there. I haven't decided yet, but I think all the planes will have chenille or minky or something soft and textured as the fabric. Again, all blue to be cotton and maybe all solid colors in the log cabin to be flannel. This is still to be determined and I may forget the whole "texture" thing altogether once I determine design.



Option 3 - OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

7 comments:

c said...

log cabins doe all the front in cottons, and do the back only in flannel

prewash flannel several times, buy extra

Anonymous said...

I may be in the minority, but I love option 1. Hugs, Dian

Gari in AL said...

#2 is more colorful and would give a child some variety to look at.

Linda B in MI said...

i agree with Carol...cotton on the front and flannel on the back...get a good flannel, i even have seen it with airplanes ...and for sure...wash and wash the flannel...drying betwwen each wash...measure to check shrinkage and when it is minimal...it should be ok.....we learn from eperience!
oh..I like #2

Sherry in NC said...

I like both, but option 1 would definitely be an original. I've never even seen anything similar.

Amber said...

I like option two better also. and just use flannel for the back as it would be really hard on all those logs to keep everything square!
the colors are great!

Susan Entwistle said...

Love option 2. Go right ahead and mix fabrics, though you might want to do the mixing on the pieces that are applique. And find a way to make the propellors on the planes 3D...maybe fanfold a finished edge square of fabric (attach securely with the machine so it can't be pulled off and swallowed). For babies stimulation isn't just about color, it's also tactile.