Friday, March 5, 2010

No more babies in the house

It's official. I no longer have any babies in the house. The youngest is 10. The oldest 14 in July.

The middle child (in the photo and age) will be 13 in one week.  Wow!

Here's the thing... he wants to invite a few friends to CiCi's for the pizza buffet. Cool, cheap and easy. I like it.  What else to do, though? Maybe a movie marathon at the house after? No good movies in the theatre.

PErhaps a murder-mystery game at home but if there are only 5 kids total, that might be a bust.  Anyone have any tried and true ideas? This middle child is extremely shy and it's only this year he's opened up enough to really want to invite friends to an actual celebration. I want it to be low-key but successful and it's such a tough age. 

Good news, he and his friends are all easy going so really, I just need "host" ideas. :D

Thanks in advance!  Beck

5 comments:

Kat said...

I don't know how warm it is where you are, but my favorite birthday party as a kid (my birthday's in November) was an indoor campout. My parents set up their enormous tent in the living room (using duct tape for stakes) and made a fire in the fireplace...my dad grilled outside (in his parka) and we roasted marshmallows over the fireplace. Maybe your son's a bit old for that (I think I was 8), but with only 6 of them total it seems like it could work.

Fiber Babble said...

For a 'shy' one, a movie marathon (his choice, of course) sounds great. Also, what is he 'good' at? Maybe plan an activity that is squarely in his comfort zone - I'm guessing that he's not so shy with these friends he wants to invite, but it never hurts to be King of the Frisbee/Juggling/Pictionary at your own birthday!

Barb said...

I am not good at that kind of stuff, I just provided the food, drinks, movies and let them have at it....usually they were outdoors playing in the woods...

Sarcastic Quilter said...

thanks gals... He's "king" at dominating civilizations on the computer. hehe - We tell him we expect his goal in life right now is World Domination!

On the outdoor front, he'd love frisbee or something but temperatures are not predictable right now and pretty chilly so. The house is too small to just let them at it but I figure that will be a good chunk of it once these teens realize I feed freely. -wink-

Shay said...

Morning Becky.

Movie Marathon sounds like the way to go or pick a series if he's interested in one. We've also done bowling, and the fun arcade in my other life as the mother of a young person.

Good Luck!