Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mystery Meal 2 - Ham Wrapped Scallops w/fruit terriyaki glaze and Tomato & Corn Salad

Ham Wrapped Scallops w/fruit terriyaki glaze and Tomato & Corn Salad

Ingredients:
   12 oz. bay scallops (fresh are good but if using frozen, THAW them first, please.)

   9 to 18 pieces deli sliced honey ham (think thin sliced lunch meat)
   salt, to taste
   6 Roma tomatoes
   16 oz sweet corn kernels (if using canned, drain; frozen, thaw)
   1 stalk scallion
   2 Tbsp. basil vinagrette dressing (if you don't have this dressing, choose an italian vinagrette or equally subdued vinagrette and add fresh, chopped basil to it)
Demi-Glaze:
   1 Tbsp cherry jam
   1 Tbsp blackberry jam (you can substitute jams, just try to stick in the berry family)
   4 Tbsp apricot ginger terriyaki sauce (or you can simply add terriyaki, fresh ground ginger root and apricot jam/preserves or juice when the time comes)

Directions:
1. Finely chop scallions and put into small bowl.
2. Dice tomatoes. Add to scallions and add corn to bowl. (Note: If using canned corn, drain first.)
3. Add basil vinaigrette. Mix well, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

4. Season scallops with salt.
5. Roll 1 scallop into 1 piece of ham. (Note: My ham slice was approximately the size of a slice of bread. Therefore I used 9 slices of ham but cut each in half for a total of 18.The idea is a small piece of ham that rolls completely around a scallop.) Place on a greased cookie sheet.

6. Bake at 350 degrease for 10 min., lower heat to 300 and bake 10 minutes more or until done. The ham should not be crispy.
7. While scallops bake, add jams and terriyaki to a small sauce pan, turn on to medium heat and melt all together, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and let simmer until scallops are done and turn off heat. 

8. Grab the tomato salad and plate up your food. Drizzle glaze over scallops on your plate.
Don’t forget a glass of wine( or beverage of your choice) and some fresh bread, I liked sour dough with this recipe.


Enjoy! Beck

3 comments:

Shay said...

I'm going to do this but because of my only partially functioning kitchen and the fact that I cant just whip down to the supermarket and get scallops I'm doing it next Friday.

It looks delciious !!!!!!!!! Love scallops.

ham recipe said...

Looks really delicious. I usually enjoy my ham as is, but this recipe of yours sounds really good, I'll be giving it a try. Of course, using ham that I made myself! Yes, I know, you can easily buy it at supermarkets. But I really enjoy cooking ham. I actually find it really therapeutic, lol!

Paulette said...

Yum, looks good! I have never made/bought/eaten scallops, but I'm willing to give this a try!