Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival Fall 2010

Oh, I am SO late joining this. There is one day left but you know what? That's okay.  I've been browsing and will continue browsing all the wonderful quilts and blog notes about each until I get to them all. Such inspiration!

Amy, of AmysCreativeSide, is once again hosting the festival extravaganza. Thank you, Amy! Your quilt 'shows' are iconic, as far as I am concerned.  A special thanks to all the great sponsors also, your support is generous!

If you, readers, have been hiding under a box or in a hunting blind like I have been the last week or so, click on over with this link and enjoy the show.

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival


For my entry, I am enering my Pink Trip Around the World quilt. There are a couple posts on this in my blog history and I am linking those here for you.
Post 1
Post 2

However, the short version of this is I started this as a mystery quilt with an online group of quilters.  I chose to challenge myself by making 2 sizes in 2 different colors palettes using only stash fabrics. I chose colors I don't normally care for, pink and peach.  Both turned out beautifully.

This pink one, though, it took on a life of its own and touched my heart in the process.
As I started working the mystery, I learned of a friend from highschool who was walking in the AVON walk in honor of her deceased mother (whom I also knew by association as I was growing up). It was October, pink was everywhere and as I sewed, I couldn't help but remember her mom, and this friend, this friend's sister, brother and now, this friend's daughter.  It was only as I sewed. I set aside the quilt top for other projects, it didn't really cross my mind until I walked past it and saw it and then I'd think of my friend again. I started to think I'd finish it up and send it out to her but questioned that decision.

About 6 months after completing the top, I felt the need to dig it out and finish it. I just knew it had to go to my friend. I contacted her husband to confirm he thought it was a good idea and put it on the frame to quilt.  I had no notion of the quilting pattern but decided to just start. I ended up with meandering daisies.
The finished product is beautiful and I just felt warm and fuzzy making it.  I had a purpose, I didn't have any conscious choice or thought in putting this together almost from the beginning. It just came together.  I know, I know, I know, in my heart, my friend's mom was adding her skill and love to this quilt. 

The note I received after I sent it (Post 2) just confirmed it for me.

Lessons learned on this one?
1) If your instinct is to "go with the flow", let go and just go.  There's a reason and you won't know why until later.
2) Step out of your comfort zone in using colors and fabrics. I never would have thought the calicos and pastels would be so pretty, but they were and I loved them.
3) Reach out and give of yourself, if you feel its the right thing to do. Knowing the recipient or not knowing them well, it doesn't matter. If your gut is saying do it, do.  I feel honored to have had the privelge of sending a gift form her mom and frankly, I don't think there is any other way to describe how that came together.
4) Angels exist. :)

Thank you for stopping by! 

Cheers! Beck

7 comments:

Shay said...

I am so not a pink girl but I LOVE this Becks.I think you were definately being guided.

All the fabrics tone together so beautifully and the whole quilt is just so sweet!

yep-angels were involved in this process.

Unknown said...

So beautiful on so many levels.

Marg said...

Both the quilt and story are beautiful. I missed this first time round so I'm so glad you posted it here.

Paulette said...

It's such a pretty, soft quilt. You did a wonderful job on it, and I love the quilted daisies. This kind of quilt is on my to-do list. I love that you had the feeling of other-worldly help on having this project come together.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt, the colors work so well. Thanks for sharing both the quilt and the story.

Kate said...

What a beautiful story and a beautiful quilt. I'm so glad you went with your gut. I had the feeling to create a quilt for a family friend who was ill, but I didn't want to intrude, so I just pushed the feeling to the side. After she died I was sorry I hadn't, but I made a quilt for the family from one of her dresses and they loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Heidi said...

Wonderful story and quilt :-)