Thursday, February 17, 2011

Anyone up for a history mystery?

First, I'm sorry for the length between posts. I've been a busy bee with work and home life (more on that later when I actually have specific news to share). I've also been sewing in bits and pieces and hardly at all so no quilting pics for you or even status updates.

I can update you on the fact that next month will begin our quilt along. I am keeping it simple. 1 block repeated over again. The block chosen will work well for fat quarters or some scraps but also yardage if you prefer. I'll post measurements, etc. later.  Just stay tuned, I am certain I can turn all you paper-piecing doubters onto this method!

Now, the history mystery I'm talking about. The home we are currently renting sits on a piece of property which has only been in 2 other families (that have been traced thus far) and has, purportedly, some civil war history with General Burnside staying at the original home while in the area.  The kids and I have begun our online search for more detail on this property as a whole but frankly, we have no clue what we are doing.  We want to get as much information from the internet we can and then resort to actual library and courthouse paper archives.

My son suggested we put the word out to any of you.  If you are interested in searching along, at your leisure and in no hurry, we welcome the assistance.  Just leave me a comment and I'll email you the details of where we live and what clues we have right now. It's very little, I warn you but I like to know the history of places, if there is one, and I like my kids are encouraged at the moment to learn some history so I'm going with it.

Now that's all for today. Hopefully I'll have some quilting updates to share by the end of the weekend and know, I may not be commenting but I am checking in on your posts at least! :)

Cheers, Beck

1 comment:

Shay said...

Looking forward to the quiltalong Becks. Feeling not so confident about the paper piecing!

I'm probably not going to be much help with your house mystery since I'm as geographically far away from your house as it is possible to be - but good luck.

You might want to check census returns online so you can see who was living in your house at the time of different census which would be possible since you have the names of some of the original owners.

Miss you!