Saturday, May 21, 2011

A progress post - Dr. Seuss

Everyone likes progress pictures, right?

Well here are a few for you. This quilt is coming along quickly so far, which is great, because I have to have it completed (quilted and bound) BY June 10.  That's my college reunion and I am gifting this quilt to a great friend (more like a brother) of mine's 1 year old son with a couple Dr. Seuss books (that my girlfriends are also adding to).  It's one of the few quilts I've ever made where I'm staying true to pattern and fabric line. 

Here's where I'm at so far, I've cut all the fabrics and strarted sewing the strips together.

 
I cut out the circles and because I read someone's blog somewhere who had a pretty cool quilt with applique on it, I took an extra step I've never tried before. It's supposed to make the applique a little more durable plus add a little dimension. I also cut out same size muslin pieces and sewed them to the circles, right side together.  Then I cut a small slit in the muslin and turned them right side out.  I used one of those wooden quilting tools to push out the seams and then I pressed them flat. Finally, I cut steam a seam to size and ironed the circles onto the fabric strip they needed to be on.


Now, I'm using another new technique for me, blanket stitching on my machine.  I've zig-zagged raw edge applique and have had a preference for that up until this quilt. I just didn't feel it would look right. I had 2 schools of thought.

1) Try it and see but I didn't want it to look like my first attempt, or
2) call my friend Barb from Bejeweled By Barb  and beg her for a favor. I've seen her blanket stitching and I was thinking I'd sweet talk her with lunches and dinners and chauffering if she found herself without a car because hubs took it or something.

I was really leaning toward #2 but it was late last night and I am determined to move forward on this quilt each day. I didn't want to call after 9pm.  Plus, the idea that I had to not just ask a favor of her when I'm sure she's got a full plate, I would have to ask her to have it done quickly. I felt I would be imposing and I shouldn't do that unless I at least tried first. So I tried.

Take 1
Take 2
Take 3
They are getting better, don't you think?  While not as good as Barb's, I think I can leave take 2, unstitch take 1 and make the remaining 15 circles look like take 3.  Barb, my friend, instead of imposing for your skills, now I'll just have to impose upon you to meet me for lunch again.  :)

Cheers! Beck

13 comments:

Marg said...

Love the progress photos. Take 2 and 3 look pretty darn good to me. Very impressed, I must have to try that myself. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Kate said...

Very cute! Great job on the blanket stitch. I'm with Marg, take 2 and 3 look very good!

I've seen the Dr. Suess "Grinch" Christmas line and keep asking doesn't someone need a Grinch qulit for Christmas?

Crunchy Diva said...

that dr suess quilt is brilliant i'm sure that little boy will love & adore it.

Paulette said...

That is going to be a cute quilt! You know what? I'd leave Take 1 and explain it this way: Just like when you learn to read, you sometimes make mistakes, but if you keep trying, it gets better and better.

ShirleyC said...

Pretty darned cute if you ask me!

Barb said...

Lunch it is.....

Oh, you did a fantastic job....and you could have called, I was up til one....but it is much better for you to do it yourself. I know, we could have swapped projects!

thea said...

Very nice! Your circles look great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Kelli said...

They are gorgeous, You must be way hard on yourself! Good on you for giving it a go in the first place!
I keep tring to work out a good excuse for buying some of this DR SUESS fabric too, Hasn't worked yet! :) Soon hopefully ;)

Staci said...

Your circles are looking very good! Yay for you trying new things! Your quilt is going to be just darling!

Shay said...

I think the blanket stitch looks good on all of the circles myself. It doesnt have to be perfect. That's part of the charm of a hand crafted item.

I love the Suess quilt sneak peek. It's going to be wonderful.

Im wondering why I havent done the circles for my Dresdens like that ...maybe I should try a couple and see if they look better. Im sure they would sit better like that too. Thanks for giving me something to think about...

Mrs A said...

They all look fab, you did a great job! Dr Suess is perfect for kids, i loved them as a child, the stories were so full of imaqination, good choice!

QuiltNut Creations said...

loving this fabric!!

Clothed in Scarlet said...

So, did you do that blanket stitch with your sewing machine? I think they look great! Sarah